Saturday, July 16, 2011

Misadventures in homesteading

Life on the farm is constantly teaching us something new. Unfortunately, the information we gleam from the lessons would have been much better to know in the beginning of the process instead of the middle, but I guess that wouldn't make for nearly as entertaining of a story.

This year our herb garden taught us something very important. Don't plant licorice-flavored herbs near ANYTHING else. Thanks to a Thai basil plant and another random French herb (that of course I don't remember the name of and was never cooked into anything), most of my regular basil has a unwanted licorice quality to it. Licorice pesto? I think not. You would have thought that last years squash-cini would have taught us to really consider how close you plant what. At least squash-cini turned out to be fairly tasty!

As we dable more into the concept of homesteading, I get the feeling that our trail and error days have only just begun.

No comments: